Hastings and St. Leonards Angling Association

Website of the top sea angling club in East Sussex

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Fishing Boats at Hastings

Johnn

Hi there, I have noticed quite alot of wilson flyer style boats at hastings, could any fellow boat owners tell me how they find fishing from a cathedral hulled boat at sea.

How far do you go out?

It looks like a lovely place to fish and boat !

Thanks John

September 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lavy
Site Owner

Hi,

Cathedral hulled boats are extremley stable platforms to fish from. Wilson flyers are very good value for money and you can have them built how you want them.

The lads from the club fish anything up to 30 miles out so that shows the confidence they have in them.

Hope this helps.

--

Photobucket

September 14, 2010 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JOHN Taylor

HI I AM A NEW MEMBER PLEASE COULD ANYONE ADVISE ME ON A GOOD SECOND HAND BOAT AND WHAT MAKES TO LOOK OUT FOR AND HOW DO YOU GET INVOLVED WITH THE FISHING SIDE OF THINGS FROM THIS CLUB BEST REGARDS JOHN TAYLOR

November 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Cramp
Administrator

Hi John. Not sure what boats are available at the moment. Thing to remember if you launch off the beach is your boat needs beach keels to keep the hull clear of the stones. Most boats in the club heave wooden keels about 2 inches deep with a stainless steel band. The other factor to consider is weight as we have to drag the boats about in the yard. The dory style hull such as the Wilson flyer 17 and 20 footers is popular as you get a good deck area and stable platform at anchor. A word of caution when buying a boat is to check the thickness of the hull. Some manufactures have tried to cut costs with a thinner layup, not good if you slam the boat in to the beach coming ashore. If you visit the club bar on a Sunday lunch time the lads there will offer up lots of advise I'm sure, unless they are out fishing.

Good luck, Dave Cramp.

--

Dave Cramp

November 13, 2010 at 5:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JOHN Taylor

HI DAVE THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE LOOKING FORWARD TO COMING DOWN TO THE CLUB FOR A FEW BEERS AND MEETING YOU ALL CHEERS JOHN TAYLOR

November 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.